Jobs - Come and work with us!
Drift-In Surf Café and Wittering Surf is a family run Cafe and Surf Shop based in the heart of East Wittering, West Sussex, a stones’ throw from the beach.
We pride ourselves on the high standards of service that we offer and are passionate about serving freshly prepared food and drink in a contemporary, rustic, relaxed setting - the perfect place to spend time with friends & family. Our menu is ideal for the whole family to enjoy. From pancakes to quesadillas, super salads, wraps, sandwiches and daily specials we offer something for everyone.
You will be joining a great team who really do support each other.
We are looking to expand our kitchen team. We have an exciting opportunity for the right candidate who will be a proactive, enthusiastic and energetic budding chef. Previous experience working in a fast-paced environment ensuring our high customer service practices are sustained is essential.
Key responsibilities will include food preparation and service and overseeing the day to day running of the kitchen including the ordering of all supplies, ensuring all set procedures are followed and maintaining all required records and invoices.
The Chefs’ Role:
- All food preparation
- Cooking and preparing high quality dishes fresh to order
- Menu creation and daily/weekly specials
- Ordering and stock rotation of all supplies
- General cleaning of kitchen and food storage areas
- Follow all procedures for food safety codes and cleanliness standards in the kitchen, food preparation and storage areas
- Ensure all kitchen colleagues are completing their required tasks in an effective manner following all set procedures
- Potentially opening and closing the cafe, making sure the building is safe and secure when leaving
Required Skills and Experience
- A minimum of 2 years’ catering experience
- Over 18 years old
- The ability to take direction and work closely with the cafe proprietors, managers and supervisors
- You will have excellent communication and organisational skills and feel confident working with a vibrant young team
- Be enthusiastic and passionate in your role, teaching and explaining things clearly to your colleagues
- The ability to work at pace whilst multi-tasking to maintain the highest levels of quality and service at all times
- You must be actively able to listen to your colleagues and to take instruction
- Keen and willing to learn, develop and go above and beyond
- Have an understanding of how to adapt to the needs of our customers in a friendly and professional manner
- You must be willing to adjust orders to meet our customers' requests/dietary requirements safely
- Level 2/3 Food Hygiene and Safety
- Food Standard Agency Food Allergen and Intolerance Training
Physical working conditions
- Usually, work is indoors
- Any necessary protective gear, such as masks, gloves and aprons required will
- Sometimes exposed to situations that cause cuts and burns or slips and falls.
However, injuries are usually minor
- Work is in proximity of others; the kitchen is a busy small space
- May be exposed to distracting noises and sounds levels in an active restaurant and kitchen
- Exposure to hot temperatures from machinery.
- You will have a high level of social contact, interacting with managers, kitchen staff,
front of house staff and customers
- You are responsible for the health and safety of others in the working environment
- You may be required to deal with customer queries and complaints
Training opportunities usually depend on the size of the establishment and whether it is an
independent operation or part of a chain. Larger restaurant chains usually offer structured
training schemes, while independent restaurants are more likely to offer on-the-job training
on a more informal basis.
Key training areas include:
- first aid
- food safety
- health and hygiene
- management skills (supervisors and managers only)
- company systems and procedures.
When starting in this post, you will gain practical experience within each function of the
kitchen and the staff and directors will help you during your initial months.
Compulsory training for all staff:
Food Standards Agency food allergy online training FREE
Additional training which you may be asked to undertake (cost refunded upon completion):
Level 1 Food Hygiene and Safety | Online Training Course (highspeedtraining.co.uk) £15
For Kitchen staff and Shift supervisors:
Level 2 Food Safety & Hygiene | Online Training Course (highspeedtraining.co.uk) £20
For Chefs and Managers:
Level 3 Food Hygiene & Safety for Catering | Online Training (highspeedtraining.co.uk) £125
Key professional bodies also offer a range of training opportunities, including activities that
count towards continuing professional development (CPD). They also hold information on
other available external courses and events. We will consider requests for support for key
staff to undertake relevant training. Relevant organisations include:
- British Hospitality Association - hosts various events across the year and provides
publications and resources for members.
- Hospitality Guild - lists details of various training courses including college-based
qualifications, regulation, and licensing courses and CPD options. It also has details of
development programmes, mentoring schemes and competitions that are run through
its numerous partners.
- Institute of Hospitality - offers management qualifications at introductory, intermediate,
and advanced levels. It also runs a series of events each year covering professional
development, social events and networking activities and you are able to work towards
varying levels of membership with the institute.
Front of house/ Barista: